Author Meets a Critic and Lunch with an Author
APPE is proud of our authors and of the contributions they make in advancing the field of practical and professional ethics. The Annual Meeting provides many opportunities for authors to showcase their work, get helpful and meaningful feedback, and to help others advance as colleagues and prospective authors.
Authors are encouraged to submit requests for an Author Meets Critics the Lunch with Author sessions at the Annual Meeting, and to participate in the Author Book Display, and the Author Reception and Book Signing. Please see details below.
Author Meets the Critics is a formal program session of the conference.
The typical format for these sessions is as follows:
(1) Introductions (5 min)
(2) Brief opening statement by the author – usually focused on what prompted you to write the book or how the book fits into your overall research interests. (5-10 min)
(3) Comments and analysis by two scholars in the field (15 min each, total 30 min)
(4) A response by you to their comments (10 min)
(5) Audience Q&A with you and the commentators (30 min)
♦ Since you know those in your field best suited to comment on your book, please feel free to contact them directly and then send us their names and contact information.
♦ Please have your publisher send a copy of the book to the APPE office as soon as possible.
The authors and their book titles are listed in the program and conference attendees sign-up in advance to have lunch with you in the hotel banquet hall (usually 8-10 people sitting at a round table.)
Topics for the lunch may include any of the following:
(1) Brief remarks by you on what prompted you to write the book, major themes the book addresses, or where your research interests are headed in the future.
(2) Questions by those at the table may include any of the following: who you see as the primary audience for the book, how you think the book may best be used, lessons you learned in writing the book, topics for future research you did not cover in the book, or how you found a publisher and advice on working with publishers?
The APPE Author Display Table is a prominent section of the Book and Resource Room we set-up in the conference hotel.
Please contact Mary Umlet, our Book Exhibit Room Coordinator, to notify her about your book. She will work with you and your publisher to have copies of you book available for members to preview throughout the Annual Meeting.
The Author Reception and Book Signing is a special opportunity we have arranged on Friday from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. prior to the Annual Meeting Banquet.
We will have a large poster of your book and a special table arranged for you. This was another great way for folks to meet you and purchase a personally signed copy of your book. Please contact Beth Works, Senior Executive Assistant, for further details.
For these and all programs at the Annual Meeting you must:
- Complete and turn in a 2013 APPE Submission Form
- Submit an Audio Visual Needs Form (even if no AV is needed).
Further questions, please contact the APPE Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-855-6450.
Association for Practical and Professional Ethics
618 East Third Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-3602
Telephone (812) 855-6450; FAX (812) 856-4969
Questions pertaining to this web site can be sent to email@example.com.